The tomato gazpacho is a cold soup very similar to a salad, but with a light texture and a delicate thickness. It is a very typical dish from the west of Andalusia, where the red gazpachos have a special role, although there are also other versions in the regions of Extremadura and Castilla.
Although today it is distinguished for being a food made with a rich variety of vegetables, originally, al-Andalus, the recipe contained only bread, olive oil, vinegar and salt.
And it was not until the nineteenth century that the tomato was incorporated into the recipe, a century in which it also went from being a humble class dish that allowed the peasants of the warmer regions to obtain energy in an economic and refreshing way, to a common delicacy among the bourgeois class, who served it with the already classic chopped vegetables.
This gazpacho is, thanks to its ingredients, rich in flavonoids and antioxidants such as lycopene and glutathione , gamma butyric amino acids , carbohydrates , fiber , allicin , alliin , vitamins A , C , E , K and group B ( B6 and B9 or folic acid , and in smaller quantity, B1 , B2 and B3 ), sulfur , calcium , phosphorus , iron , magnesium , manganese , potassium , selenium , sodium , iodine , zinc and, to a lesser extent, copper .
Below you can see what ingredients you need and the steps to follow in order to make a traditional and refreshing maigre soupe .
|Difficulty level||Preparation time||Rations|
|Easy||30 m.||For 6 people|
- 1 kg. of tomato (mature)
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 clove of garlic (big)
- 1 onion
- 100 gr. of bread
- 150 ml. of extra virgin olive oil (mild taste, arbequina type)
- 30 ml. of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 l. of water
- We wash all the vegetables, remove the seeds of the pepper, peel the cucumber and onion, and chop everything.
- We put it in the blender glass or in a pot to make it fit better, and add the bread, garlic, oil and vinegar with half the water, and crush everything until there are no visible pieces.
- Add the salt and the rest of the water and stir well until all the ingredients are mixed and homogeneous.
- We take a bowl and we pass the crushed one by a Chinese so that it is fine and without lumps or remains of vegetables. Rectify salt and vinegar if necessary, and put it in the refrigerator a few minutes so that when serving it is slightly fresh, but without losing flavor.
- Make sure that the bread you use does not contain anything of animal origin, such as butter, milk, eggs and / or mono and diglycerides of fatty acids of animal origin (e471).
- When serving, you can add baked cro añadirtons and / or very small pieces of the vegetables that the gazpacho has.
- Ideally, the temperature of the gazpacho is a little lower than the room temperature so that the taste is accentuated and is more refreshing. It is important not to chill it too much so that it does not lose flavor.
If you have any questions, you can leave it to us in the comments. And if you dare and want to show your creations to the world, do not hesitate to label us, we will love to see them through the networks!
Do you join us on social networks? You will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!