This salty cake has a delicious and intense flavor which highlights, above all, the fiery flavor of black pepper, the main protagonist of this recipe.
After crossing the crunchy crust, we discover the irresistible filling of tender and mellow texture, spicy aroma and spicy and penetrating flavor; a filling that, in addition to being simple and very tasty, is also very complete and free of cholesterol thanks to the combination of mushrooms and seitan.
Thus, we are facing a dish rich in proteins , fiber , flavonoids , carbohydrates , lecithin , allicin , alliin , antioxidants such as terpenoids and beta-carotene , vitamins C , E and group B ( B1 , B2 , B3 , B6 and B9 or folic acid ), aluminum , sulfur , calcium , cobalt , copper , phosphorus , iron , magnesium , manganese , potassium , selenium , silicon , sodium and, to a lesser extent, zinc .
Below you can see what ingredients you need and the steps to follow to make this irresistible salty cake with South African origins.
|Difficulty level||Preparation time||Rations|
|Half||1 h. y 30 m.||For 6 servings|
- 600 gr. mushroom oyster (girgolas)
- 250 gr. of seitan
- 2 tablespoons of wholemeal flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of rum
- 95 ml. of beer
- 190 ml. of water
- 1 vegetable broth pill
- 2 teaspoons of pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bases of broken dough (without precooking)
- We wash the mushrooms under the tap and cut them into strips. We cut the seitan also in strips. We reserve
- Peel the onion, cut into thin slices and reserve also.
- In a small saucepan, put to heat the water with the broth pill. When the water breaks to boil, stir for the tablet to dissolve and, once dissolved, extinguish the fire and reserve.
- In a large pan, put the oil to heat and, when it is warm, take the onion and let it be done for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and seitan, add the flour and stir to mix well with the rest of the ingredients. Let everything be done over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning it occasionally, until we see that the mushrooms are soft. After this time, we passed everything to a wide pot and booked.
- In the same pan where we have made the sofrito, we throw the rum and wait a couple of minutes, until the alcohol has evaporated. We add the beer along with the broth that we have in the saucepan, the thyme and the pepper, and we remove everything. When it breaks to boil, we pass the broth to the pot where we have the mushrooms with the seitan and the onion, stir for them to be well impregnated with the broth, and leave covered at minimum heat for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time so that do not stick the mushrooms to the bottom of the pot. After this time, we put out the fire.
- Preheat the oven to 175º up and down for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, we cover with baking paper a mold suitable for the oven, place in it one of the broken dough bases and add the filling, extending it with the help of a spatula so that it is evenly distributed over the entire surface.
- When we have well distributed the filling on the base, take the other base with care not to break it and we are placing it so that the other part is tightly closed, pressing with your fingers carefully around the entire mold. We prick it with a toothpick and then put it in the oven, leaving it to brown for approximately 15 minutes, making sure it does not burn. After this time, we take it out of the oven, unmold it very carefully and serve it.
- Make sure that the rum and beer that you use have not used any product of animal origin for its elaboration, since during the clarification process elements such as animal albumin, milk proteins, gelatin or fishtail are usually used.
- We recommend checking that the broth tablet does not contain palm oil among its ingredients.
- In the event that you choose to buy the ready-made shortcrust pastry, it is important to check that it does not contain any ingredients of animal origin and, if possible, that it is without palm oil.
- In case you like it more golden, you can bake it a little more, but always making sure that it does not burn.
If you have any questions, you can leave it to us in the comments. And if you dare and want to show your creations to the world, do not hesitate to label us, we will love to see them through the networks!
Do you join us on social networks? You will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!