Couscous (or cous cous) is a traditional dish from North Africa, which has been referenced since the eleventh century and in which the main ingredient is durum wheat moistened, which is given a rounded shape, until form balls of between 1 and 3 millimeters.
This recipe in particular, is inspired by Moroccan cuisine, so the spices have a great role and its flavor is warm and exotic but at the same time very familiar.
Soy, one of the main ingredients of this dish, allows, thanks to its texture and absorption capacity, to enjoy all the flavor and nuances of the delicious sauce that accompanies it; and all, with the added advantage of being a source of protein low in fat and sugar and free of cholesterol.
Regarding its nutritional contribution, this couscous is rich in complete protein , carbohydrates , fiber , allicin , alliin , flavonoids , beta carotene , lycopene , vitamins A , C , E , K and group B ( B1 , B2 , B3 , B6 and B9 or folic acid ), sulfur , calcium , phosphorus , magnesium , potassium , selenium , sodium and, in smaller amounts, copper , iron , manganese and zinc .
Below you can see what ingredients you need and the steps to follow to make this dish of couscous so tasty and complete.
|For 2 people
- 1 purple onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 carrot
- 100 ml. red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 150 gr. couscous
- 400 ml. water
- 75 gr. thick textured soy
- 2 tablespoons fried tomato
- We put to hydrate the soy in a bowl with hot water for 15 minutes. After this time, we drain it well until it releases all the water and we reserve.
- We wash and peel the onion, the peppers and the carrot, and cut them into very small pieces.
- Put the oil in a large pan and, when hot, add the onion and stir occasionally. When it is poached, add the peppers and carrots, stir again, and let everything be done for 10 minutes. After this time, we remove the vegetables from the pan, add the fried tomato, stir, and reserve.
- In the oil we have in the pan, we drain the drained soybeans, take a few turns and then add the paprika and stir again. Add the wine, take a few turns to mix everything well, and add the vegetables, half the water, salt and pepper. We let cook for 15 minutes, put out the fire, and reserve.
- In a saucepan, put the other half of the water to heat with a little salt and a dash of oil. When the water begins to boil, turn off the heat and toss the couscous, stirring to soften.
- In a large pan, put to heat 2 tablespoons of oil and toss the couscous so that the beans are detached and left loose. Turn off the heat, toss the couscous so that there is a gap in the center of the dish and, in that space, place the vegetables and soy with the sauce. Finally, when we have it assembled, we serve it.
- If you want to make this gluten-free dish, you can substitute couscous of wheat semolina with couscous of corn or buckwheat.
If you have any questions, you can leave it to us in the comments. And if you dare and want to show your creations to the world, do not hesitate to label us, we will love to see them through the networks!
Do you join us on social networks? You will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!