Kartoffelsalat or potato salad is a traditional recipe from Germany (which is why it is also known as 'German salad'), widely consumed also in other Central European countries such as Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Its origin dates back to the 18th century, coinciding with the arrival of the potato in the German country, where the consumption of this tuber was initially intended for nobles and aristocrats.
The potato salad is a very satisfying salad, which has a certain aesthetic similarity to the Russian salad, since both contain potatoes among their ingredients and these are seasoned with mayonnaise.
Thanks to its simplicity and the few ingredients that make it up, the kartoffelsalat is very easy to prepare. It is also perfect to take to work or on a picnic, since the ideal is to consume it cold, and since it does not have any egg or milk of animal origin, it holds perfectly until the moment of eating.
This recipe is rich in carbohydrates , allicin , alliin , fiber , protein , isoflavones , lecithin , flavonoids , omega 3 and omega 9 fatty acids, beta carotene , terpenoids , vitamins A , C , E , K and group B ( B2 , B3 , B4 , B6 and B9 or folic acid ); sulfur , calcium , phosphorus , iron , magnesium , potassium , sodium , iodine , zinc and, to a lesser extent, copper , manganese and selenium .
Below you can see what ingredients you need and the steps to follow in order to make this delicious source of energy so simple and rich.
|Difficulty level||Preparation time||Rations|
|Easy||45 m.||For 2 people|
- 500 gr. potato
- 1/4 red onion
- 3 sweet and sour gherkins
- 2 tablespoons homemade vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Bavarian sweet mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Put to heat a pot with water and salt. Wash the potatoes and, when the water in the pot starts to boil, cook them for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mayonnaise. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander and, when they are tempered, peel them, cut them into irregular pieces not very large and put these in a large bowl. Season with the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Peel the onion, chop it very small and put it in a bowl.
- Chop 2 sweet and sour gherkins and add them to the bowl where the chopped onion is.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard and water from the gherkins and stir to mix well the ingredients.
- When the sauce is ready, add it to the potatoes and stir carefully to impregnate them well with the sauce. Once all ingredients are well mixed, wait for the salad to cool down.
- When the salad is cold, chop 1 sweet and sour gherkins, add it over the salad and serve.
If you have any questions, you can leave it to us in the comments. And if you dare and want to show your creations to the world, do not hesitate to label us, we will love to see them through the networks!
Do you join us on social networks? You will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!