Carob flour is an ideal substitute for cocoa and chocolate powder, since it can be used in the same preparations as these. But the best thing is that, unlike cocoa, which has caffeine and theobromine, carob does not contain exciting substances, making it perfect for children and for people with insomnia, hyperactivity or sensitivity to caffeine.
This hazelnut and carob cream is a healthy and sustainable alternative to conventional cocoa cream. And it is not only free of dairy and sugar, but its second main ingredient, carob, is a legume that is grown in Mediterranean climates, and therefore, does not require transport as expensive as that of cocoa, reason for which its price is also cheaper.
Another point in favor of carob is that it has little fat, it is rich in tryptophan (it makes the brain secrete serotonin) and its flavor is not bitter but slightly sweet, so we can make a hazelnut cream without needing to add much sweetener, because the carob is already naturally sweet.
As for the characteristics of this delicious cream, its texture is unctuous and full-bodied and its flavor is intense and sweet, with caramelized notes of toasted hazelnuts.
From this recipe it is also worth noting that it is made without sugar, because instead of it it has date syrup , a healthier and more nutritious alternative that also gives it even more sweetness.
Thanks to the richness of its ingredients, this hazelnut and carob cream provides us with protein , fiber , beta-carotene , phytosterols , carbohydrates , protoanthocyanidins , tryptophan , lecithin , isoflavones , omega 3 , omega 6 and omega 9 , vitamins C , E , K and group B ( B1 , B2 , B3 , B5 , B6 and B9 or folic acid ), calcium , copper , phosphorous , iron , magnesium , manganese , potassium , selenium , silicon , sodium , iodine and zinc .
Below you can see what ingredients you need and the steps to follow to make this irresistible cream ideal to enjoy at breakfast and snacks, to spread on bread, toast and cakes, either as a filling or as a topping.
|Difficulty level||Preparation time||Rations|
|Very easy||25 m.||For 500 grams|
- 150 gr. hazelnut (without shell)
- 100 gr. date syrup
- 50 gr. carob flour
- 150 ml. soy milk
- 75 ml. extra virgin olive oil (Smooth flavor)
- Put the hazelnuts in an oven dish and bake them at 200º for 15 minutes.
- Once the hazelnuts are toasted, wait for them to cool and, when they are warm, peel and grind them very well in a food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until all the ingredients are well integrated and the texture is fine and creamy. When the cream is ready, put it in a clean lidded glass jar and keep it in the fridge.
- If you do not have date syrup or the ingredients to make it, you can substitute it with maple or agave syrup.
- If you use hazelnuts already toasted, you will save the first step and you will have the recipe ready in just 10 minutes.
If you have any questions, you can leave it to us in the comments. And if you dare and want to show your creations to the world, do not hesitate to label us, we will love to see them through the networks!
Do you join us on social networks? You will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!