The salty pancake tower is a very popular dish from South America (especially in Argentina) that is usually consumed at parties and celebrations because of how easy and striking it is, especially for children.
It is a very fresh dish that allows you to ingest a great variety of high quality nutrients thanks to the vegetables that are interspersed between the different layers of crepes; and they do it, in a colorful and delicious way.
Each layer is seasoned with soft mayonnaise vegetable sauce, which provides softness and unctuousness, while the crepes give it that sweet and characteristic point of this dish.
The result is, thus, a tower full of color and flavor where the mix of olives and tomato create a lively and exquisite combination with the rest of soft ingredients and with the delicate and irresistible sauce.
Nutritionally, this is a pancake tower free of lactose and cholesterol and rich in lycopene , flavonoids , beta carotene , protein , fiber , glycolic acid , lecithin , omega 3 , omega 6 and omega 9 ; carbohydrates , isoflavones , vitamins C , E , K and group B ( B1 , B2 , B3 , B6 and B9 or folic acid ); calcium , copper , phosphorus , iron , magnesium , potassium , selenium , sodium , iodine and zinc .
Below you can see what ingredients you need and the steps to follow in order to make a refreshing 100% vegetable salty pancake tower.
|Difficulty level||Preparation time||Rations|
|Easy||1 h.||For 2 units|
* Plus 1 hour of rest / cooling.
For the crepes
- 290 gr. wheat flour
- 650 ml. soy milk (sugar-free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (Smooth flavor)
For the filling
- 2 tomatoes
- 100 gr. lettuce (romaine)
- 125 gr. tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 60 gr. green olives (pitted)
- 60 gr. black olives (pitted)
- 250 gr. white asparagus
- 1 avocado (big)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 225 ml. homemade vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chives (chopped)
- Grate the tofu, put to heat the oil in a pan and, when the oil is warm, sauté the tofu for 2 minutes. After this time, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Wash the lettuce leaves, dry them well and julienne it. Set aside.
- Wash the tomatoes, dry them well and cut them into 0,5 cm wide slices. Set aside.
- Drain the asparagus, dry them a little and cut them first lengthwise and after in half. Set aside.
- Drain the green olives and black olives and cut them into slices. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, peel it and remove its bone. Sprinkle a little lemon juice to prevent the avocado from browning and cut it into slices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, put the flour, add the salt and stir. Then, add the soy milk and blend for 2 minutes.
- Pour the oil and blend for 1 more minute.
- Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and store it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After this time, remove the bowl from the fridge and blend the mixture again for 1 minute.
- Next, make the crepes. Heat a 20 cm diameter pan and wait until it is well warm and put a drop of oil. Spread the oil with a brush or with some paper towel to coat the entire surface of the pan and add a little of the mixture with a ladle so it covers the surface of the pan. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- After this time, flip over the dough to cook the other side for 1 minute. When all the crepes are ready, place them in a large flat dish.
- Then, prepare the vegetable mayonnaise and assemble the pancake tower.
- In a flat dish, place a crepe and spread a bit of mayonnaise with a spatula all over the surface. Add a few slices of tomato so that it covers all the crepe and cover with another crepe.
- Cover the surface of the last crepe with a bit of mayonnaise in the same way as on the previous layer and add the lettuce. Cover with another crepe.
- Put another thin layer of mayonnaise and spread the grated tofu evenly over the whole surface. Cover with another crepe.
- Add a bit of mayonnaise and place the olives all over the surface, alternating the green ones with the black ones. Cover this layer with another crepe.
- Spread a bit of mayonnaise and put the asparagus on top. Cover with another crepe.
- Spread a bit of mayonnaise again, place the avocado slices and season it with salt and pepper. Cover the pancake tower with a last crepe and sprinkle the top with some chopped chives. Repeat the process until all the pancake towers are assembled and serve.
- We recommend that you put the pancake towers in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours before consuming them so that they rest and take better the flavors.
If you have any questions, you can leave it to us in the comments. And if you dare and want to show your creations to the world, do not hesitate to label us, we will love to see them through the networks!
Do you join us on social networks? You will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!