This pineapple flan is a sweet and juicy dessert with a very refreshing point and a velvety tropical flavor that melts with the caramel.
It is a 100% vegetable flan with a delicate pineapple flavor and a light and creamy texture, which makes it a delight of irresistible taste and texture and completely free of cholesterol, lactose and harmful fats.
The flan is a dessert that descends from the 'tyropatina', a sweet of very similar characteristics that was prepared in Ancient Rome sprinkling a little pepper on top as a final touch, because at that time, not using sugar yet, they could not make candy.
Later, and after the consumption of this candy during Lent became popular in the Middle Ages, the 'flado' appeared, which in Latin refers to its flattened form, which was prepared with both salty and sweet ingredients.
Finally, after popularizing the consumption of 'flado' in Spain and France as a dessert, overturned and with caramel on the surface, it was renamed 'flan', as it is known today.
Below you can see what ingredients you need and the steps to follow in order to make this fruity version of the classic flan.
|Difficulty level||Preparation time||Rations|
|Easy||45 m.||For 10 servings|
* Plus 16 hours of refrigeration
For the flan
- 1 large can of pineapple in its juice
- 1 can coconut milk (only the solid part)
- 100 gr. whole cane sugar
- 3 and 1/2 gr. agar-agar
- skin zest of 1 lemon (little)
For the candy
- 100 gr. whole cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- We put the can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Prepare the caramel by heating the sugar, water and lemon juice in a pan over medium heat and stirring constantly for about 5 minutes so that the sugar melts and does not burn. When we have a dark and dense caramel, extinguish the fire and immediately pour it into the bottom of the mold where we will pass the flan.
- After this time, we grate the lemon peel and reserve it.
- Separate the pineapple from the juice of the can and reserve the latter. We take the solid part of the coconut milk and put it in a bowl together with the pineapple and sugar and beat everything with the whole electric mixer until you get a uniform mixture. Add the lemon zest, stir and reserve too.
- In a saucepan, we toss the pineapple juice and put it to heat. Before it starts to boil, we take the agar-agar and stir, lowering the heat, for 2 minutes and stirring constantly.
- We extinguished the fire, we added the mixture of pineapple and coconut that we had reserved and we mixed well, stirring during a couple of minutes.
- We pass the mixture to the mold where we have the caramel and let it cool to room temperature. Then, we introduce the mold in the fridge and let it rest for a minimum of 12 hours so that it solidifies completely and we can unmold it without problems.
- After this time, we unmold the flan and serve.
- A can of pineapple usually weighs 750 gr., Where the pineapple is around 500 gr.
- it is very important that the coconut milk has at least 50% coconut.
- If you prefer, you can use caramel already prepared, you only have to make sure that it does not contain any ingredient of animal origin.
If you have any questions, you can leave it to us in the comments. And if you dare and want to show your creations to the world, do not hesitate to label us, we will love to see them through the networks!
Do you join us on social networks? You will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!